NOW THAT’S A CLASSIC COUNTRY STORE VIGNETTE!
Bob Mason Sr. is shown in front of his store at Canobie Lake Station in the early 1930’s. The many signs advertise groceries, campers’ supplies, and Mason’s Ice Cream. A directional sign in the background advertises Hadley’s Beach, Armstrong’s beach, the Lake-view Golf Course, and the Windham Auto Inn. As seen below, the store features a lunch counter offering sandwiches, pies, and ice-cream treats. Granite State potato chips were dispensed from the glass container on the counter, and Hill’s ice-cold beverages are displayed in a vending machine. Mason’s was a convenient stop for camper’s heading to Cobbett’s or Canobie Lake. Later Bob Mason Jr. modernized the property into a successful local supermarket for Windham and Salem residents.
Canobie Lake Station opened on November 9, 1885, with Albert Alexander as the station agent. He then started construction on a store nearby. The Canobie Lake Post Offcie was established hear on February 26, 1886, with Alexander as the postmaster. In this view, a later owner, Frank Nichols, stands in the doorway of his store while two ladies sit on the front porch. He operated a dry goods, grocery, and general country store.