The S.L Prescott Farm
The S.L. Prescott Farm was located on the right hand side of Lowell Road, just before the Pelham line. It was owned by the Tokanels for many years and became what is now the subdivision of Presidential Estates. The farm was built by Abram Woodbury who was the son of Benjamin and Hannah (Smith) Woodbury of Londonderry and was born July 3, 1822. He came to Windham when about thirteen years of age. His mother married a second time, Simon W. Wilson, and lived on the farm now owned by Samuel L. Prescott near the Pelham line. Simon W. Wilson was born on August 1789. He died January 10, 1853 at 63 years five months of age. He was deaf and dumb. This was the farm on which Mr. Woodbury spent nearly forty years of his life. He served as a Selectman in 1852-3, ‘58, ‘59, ‘69, ‘70. He sold his farm to S.L. Prescott in May 1873, and now lives in Hudson NH. “Samuel W. Prescott was born in Madison NH March 10, 1817. He married Sarah Dunlap, daughter of deliverance and Mary (Emerson) Brown, born April 5, 1825. He came to Windham in 1849. He bought the farm now owned by Elisha Worden about 1831, which was sold to Fred Varnum in the summer of 1865. He enlisted for three years in the forty-fourth Regiment of Mass Volunteers, nine months and was discharged on account of disability. He died January 6, 1865 at 47 years, 9months and 27 days. His son Samuel purchased this property from Abram Woodbury in 1873, He was a farmer and a butcher. He married December 21, 1870, Ella Almeda, daughter of James and Nancy (Rowe) Emerson.” Like so many old homes in Windham, the house and barn both burned to the ground.