100 Years Ago in Windham – W.S. Harris
“WINDHAM, September 14— A tablet has been obtained to be attached to one of the great boulders at Fairview on Cobbett’s North Shore. The tablet measures 18 x 24 inches and in cast in ’White bronze,’ a metallic composition of pleasing gray color, made by the Monumental bronze company of Bridgeport, Conn. The inscription reads as follows:
So called, but with various spellings,
Named from Rev. Thomas Cobbet,
Puritan minister of Lynn and Ipswich, Mass.
Who received from the General Court of Mass.
A grant of 500 acres on its north shore
There Windham Range in Flowry vest,
Was seen in robes of green.
While Cobbet’s Pond from east to west,
Spread her bright waves between.
-Robert Dinsmoor, 1811.
As it is so late in the season, the tablet will probably not be set in place until next spring, when it is hoped to dedicate is with appropriate exercises.” W.S.H.